Dear Illinois resident,
Heads up: Congress is debating a budget plan that would be devastating to Illinois. Will you pass this along?
Senators Mark Kirk and Dick Durbin need to hear from all of us about it right now, before they cut a deal in the next few days.
Please spread the word about all of these proposed cuts to Illinois:
- $83 million would be cut from federal funds for clean and safe water in Illinois.1
- 6,900 Illinois children would be immediately cut from Head Start, which provides comprehensive early childhood development services for at-risk children ages zero to five.2
- $243 million would be cut from Pell Grants, affecting all 392,000 higher education students with those grants in Illinois.3
- Job training and employment services would be effectively eliminated for 6,300 dislocated workers, 24,000 low-income adults, and 13,000 youths age 14 to 21.4
- $6 million would be cut from law enforcement assistance, taking cops off the beat.5
It’s especially galling when the same budget protects tax breaks for corporations like GE and the very rich.
Just last night the news broke that Congress may be close to striking a deal on the budget. Now is the only time we can influence the outcome.
Can you call Sens. Kirk and Durbin and ask them to oppose these cuts in the budget? You can pick one of the cuts in this list to highlight in your call.
Senator Mark Kirk
Senator Dick Durbin
Click to report your call. Then pass this email along locally!
The cuts that the Republicans are proposing would disproportionately hit those who can least afford it in Illinois, and it’s up to us to stop them.
Thanks for all you do.
-Daniel, Amy, Milan, Tate, and the rest of the team
1. “House Bill Means Fewer Children in Head Start, Less Help for Students to Attend College, Less Job Training, and Less Funding for Clean Water,” Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, March, 1, 2010
2. “Projected Reduction in Children Served in Head Start Based on H.R. 1—Fiscal Year 2011 Continuing Resolution,” Center for Law and Social Policy
3. “House Bill Means Fewer Children in Head Start, Less Help for Students to Attend College, Less Job Training, and Less Funding for Clean Water,” Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, March, 1, 2010
Want to support our work? We’re entirely funded by our 5 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.